Thursday, April 15, 2010

8 Sources for Blog Topics

Frequent Bloggers who write professionally often struggle with producing blog topics. There are days for me that seem as if there is just nothing new under the sun to write about. Other times I see the same topics written and rehashed by hundreds of sites and I tell myself that I don't want to hang in with the crowd. Popular content for the day is not always the best topic to choose for your blog. I find that my mood reflects what interests me on any particular day so tap into that inner source and go for writing about your passions. Brainstorm and write whatever comes to mind. You'll be surprised how many topics will develop this way in a matter of minutes.


For those off days when the hot topic of the day doesn't suit you and your mood is off kilter so that nothing seems to resonate, I give you some tips to pull you out of the funk. Try these methods and see if it helps. I'd love to hear how your experience goes so drop a comment sometime to let me and my readers know how you develop your blog topics.


Search Engines: If you are inspired, type in some keywords about a subject and see how many links appear. If there are not too many articles written on your choice of the day, then come up with an angle, get passionate and write about it. If you have no idea what you are trying to find, then type the first set of words up to five maximum and see what comes up. Do this two or three times if necessary. You'll be amazed how quickly this will spark ideas for your blog.

Twitter: The effervescent Twitter is always a sure thing for me. I just type in the search bar "trending topics today" and let the streams of ideas fly before my eyes. I have trouble choosing so some times I use this method to create blog topic titles for multiple posts on multiple blogs. Then I go back later to brainstorm the articles that match the title. It's a fun sort of mad hatter way to write but it gets very creative and helps me to step out of my comfort zone.

FacebookEvery blogger who is a serious professional freelance writer needs a facebook account. There are two writing tools that I consider essential: Twitter and facebook. I mean, isn't every one using both these social mediums to communicate to the world? This will get you noticed. Now how to find topics using facebook...scan your friends to see what they are chatting about. Select a common topic and create a blog post about it. Perhaps your friends are posting thoughts and questions back and forth. You can expound on the topic by relating thoughts in depth and by answering a list of questions on the same topic. Then send a message to your friends on facebook with a heads up about your post. Don't forget to tweet it, too!


Technorati


Social Networks

Entrecard

News and Current Events

Personal Life - This might surprise you but your life is a wealth of events, thoughts, ideas, people, places and things. Tap into this endless resource and you will never want for blog topics. Try an experiment. Get a blank piece of paper - a very large piece of paper...OR....open the notebook on your computer and start thinking about your life. Let your mind wander. Write the first thoughts that come to you or the first event you begin thinking about. There are no boundaries and no rules here. Brainstorm. Remember. Question. Ponder. Daydream. But write it all down. Don't worry about punctuation or sentence structure. Just let if flow naturally and spontaneously. Do this once a week religiously. Time yourself for perhaps fifteen to thirty minutes. Save all your scribbles. Now look at your notes and start writing down every lucid thought, topic, full sentence, title idea or paragraph. You should have enough blog topics for at least a month if you write two to three times a week.

Tags:

1 Responses to “8 Sources for Blog Topics”

ALoud said...
January 21, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Very attractive post. Thanks


Blogging Network

Subscribe

Donec sed odio dui. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio. Duis mollis

© 2013 Blog Day Planner. All rights reserved.
Designed by SpicyTricks